Muhammad Bin Qasim International Airport (IATA: MUX, ICAO: OPMT) is an airport situated 10 km away from the city centre of Multan in Punjab, Pakistan. It is not as large as the other airports in Pakistan, as it operates to cater mainly to the population of Multan, Vehari, Khanewal, Muzaffargarh, Rajanpur, Sahiwal, and Pakpattan.
History of Multan International Airport
Multan is an ancient city of Pakistan and is renowned for the preaching of Sufis and their shrines. It is the fifth largest city of Pakistan in terms of population, situated almost in the centre of Pakistan in the province of Punjab. Multan is surrounded by Jhang and Khanewal in the North, Khanewal and Vehari in the east, Lodhran and Bahawalpur in the south and Muzaffargarh in the west. It is bound by river Ravi on the north, river Sutlaj on the south and river Chenab on the west. The climate of Multan is hot and dry in the summers and cold in winter. Saraiki and Punjabi are commonly spoken languages in Multan. Multan Airport is situated amidst of the city in the Cantt. area. Brief history of Multan Int’l Airport is as under:-
Multan Airport Timeline
- 1919 RAF aircraft started operation on Kacha Maidan.
- 1934 Occasional civil aircraft operation started by Imperial Airways.
- 1938 Regular services started on LAH-MUL-JACOB-KAR route.
- 1948 Pak Air service started. 1956 Multan Flying Club started.
- 1957 PIA started operation with DC-3 aircraft.
- 1963 Runway, taxiways and apron re-carpeted with bitumen, proper control tower erected.
- 1971 Runway extended to 9000?
- 1977 Terminal building extended. Jet operation started (B-720).
- 1980 Runway strengthened and re-carpeted.
- 1988 Rehabilitation of Jet T/W for A-300 Aircraft.
- 1999 M/s. PIAC and M/s. Aero Asia started international operations (MUL-DUB-MUL).
Airport Quick Overview:
- Airport Name: Multan Airport, Multan Intl Airport, Multan International Airport
- Geographical Location: 30° 12′ 11″ North, 71° 25′ 8″ East
- IATA code: MUX
- ICAO code: OPMT
- Squadron Leader (R) Shaukat Aslam
Multan Airport Contact Numbers
- Contact No. 061-9200640
- Fax , 061-9200641
- Email Address [email protected]
Map of Multan Airport
A detailed map of Multan Airport (MUX) is presented below. You may use map navigation tools to adjust map scope and zoom level of Multan Airport map. Click the map type buttons to select map type: a street map, a satellite map and a hybrid map is available. Please use the form below the map to search and book hotels near Multan Airport, Pakistan.
|Arrival Lounge||2993 sft.||125 standing||• Toilets = 1+1
• Conveyor Belt
|Departure Lounge||5169 sft.||215 seats||• Toilet = 4+2
• Ablution Area
• Prayer Area
|Briefing Area||2962 sft.||50 standing||• Conveyor Belt
• Airline checking counter
• Baggage packing
|Concourse||4200 sft.||30 seats|
|State Lounge||1200 sft.||14 seats||• Toilet 2+1
• Ablution Place
|CIP Lounge||2400 sft.||50 seats||• Toilets 3+2
• Ablution Place
• Prayer Area
|Car Park||20300 sft.||70 cars||• Public Toilets 1+1|
|Car Park||10000 sft.||45 cars|
|VIP Car Park||8000 sft.||25 cars|
Multan Airport Upgradation Project – News Report
Events at Multan Airport
On 10 July 2006 a Fokker F-27 Friendship took off from Multan Airport. Flight PK688 suffered engine problems soon after take-off causing the pilot to lose control of the aircraft. The aircraft crashed in a near-by grass field causing to catch fire on impact leaving all (54) passengers and crew dead.